- Day 1) Guns n Ammo 2.0
- Day 2) Pancake & Eggs
- Day 3) Aces of Legend
- Day 4) AC-D3
- Day 5) KKKK
- Day 6) Rho Rho Rho Your Boat
- Day 7) Junkyard Falcon
- Day 8) Rebel Salad
I'm going to be bowing out with a festival of Scum & Villainy squadiness. As I wrote in my Junkyard Falcon squad I'm having a ton of fun making Scum lists right now and so today we're going to have some fun because I end it all on something a bit more killer tomorrow. For now though, it's time to start throwing some Ion control around...
9) CLOSE QUARTERS COMBAT
The first thing to say about this squad is that there's so much great stuff for a 3-man Scum squad that you're really spoiled for choice which ones you actually go with. This could easily be Talonbane/4-LOM/Fenn, or Palob/Boba/Kavil, or Teroch/Nym/4-LOM... there's so many really solid builds you can throw together and just have fun with what you want to fly. I'm showing you this version because I want to showcase two pilots who been quietly and subtly buffed a lot from their 1st Edition versions: Kavil and 4-LOM.
Close Quarters Combat
- Kavil - Expert Handling, R4 Astromech, Ion Cannon Turret, Han Solo, Advanced Proton Torpedoes (62)
- 4-LOM - Advanced Sensors,0-0-0, Mist Hunter (62)
- Fenn Rau - Predator (70)
Kavil first, in his trusty and rusty old Y-Wing. So how has Kavil been buffed?
- Cost - Base 42 points is 6pts less than his old 24pts would justify. On top of that the old Ion Cannon Turret would have been 10pts, and the old Advanced Proton Torpedoes would have been 12pts. Kavil with Turret and Torps costs 54pts, a hefty saving vs the equivalent of 70pts that this would all have cost in 1st Edition!
- R1 Turret Buff - turrets now get an extra dice at Range 1, which they didn't get in 1st Edition
- Kavil's ability rewording - the new wording of Kavil's ability separates the front arc primary away from the turret, but DOES mean that Kavil's extra red dice does work in the front arc if you're using a rotating turret weapon. If your Ion Cannon is facing forwards then Kavil can take that extra dice.
- Gunner slot - and not just any gunner slot but a Scum gunner slot ready to use the new Han crew!
- Reload action - just in case somebody is foolish enough to let Kavil reload his Advanced Proton Torps
Trusty and rusty old Kavil, then, comes to the table hitting harder than in 1st Edition (throwing as many as 5 red dice with his Ion Turret at Range 1!) and also costing a whole heap less. He's here fully loaded with Advanced Proton Torpedoes for just 62 points!
4-LOM: my goodness the old G1-A starfighter was a rare sight on the table in 1st Edition, as it arrived in the game as Scum's answer to a question that nobody was asking any more. I always had a personal soft spot for 4-LOM but he never quite made the cut whenever I was making a squad. How's he got better in 2nd Edition?
- Cost - at 49 points 4-LOM comes in 5pts less than he did in 1st Edition. It's not quite the bargain you get from Kavil but it all helps!
- Pilot Ability - 4-LOM gains a whole new side to his ability that reflects just how much he is going to be using his red maneuvers. He now gets a free Calculate token whenever he performs a red maneuver and that's a massive help.
- Medium Base - a new Medium base helps 4-LOM out in two ways. First of all he's faster across the table to get onto Range 1 of his targets and stress them, and secondly it means his Range 0-1 bubble is that little bit larger and covers more of the map.
It's just a lovely extra bonus that 4-LOM is such a great partner for the super value of 0-0-0, and also how well he works with Advanced Sensors. With Advanced Sensors on board 4-LOM can take an action before he moves, perform a red maneuver and get a free Calculate token, then shed the stress onto his opponent. Hell, with a new 0 Stop maneuver on his dial 4-LOM doesn't even have to move forward, he can either park in space forever, or sidle crab-like across the table with barrel rolls.
The combination of Kavil and 4-LOM is a potent duo of control effects that can leave any opposing ship driftly helplessly through space, ionised and stressed. Helpless and a sitting duck for Fenn Rau to finish off, or for Kavil to pepper with his Advanced Proton Torpedoes. It's not just control effects here for control's sake, there's plenty of teeth to finish the enemy off once they've been weakened!
But as I said at the top, all the cool stuff on display here really only goes to show how many great options there are in Scum at present. Go play Scum!